Changes to Cornell Google storage
Cornell will no longer be able to offer unlimited Gmail storage to alumni. This is a result of recent changes to Google’s pricing structure: Google no longer offers free unlimited storage to universities.
But don’t worry! You can keep your current Gmail account, and there are steps you can take now to prepare for this change and not lose any of your important data.
Here are the basics:
- You can keep your current alumni Gmail account.
- Gmail storage will be capped at 5GB for all accounts by July 2023.
- All Google Drive and Photo storage will end for alumni accounts in July 2023.
- Optional Microsoft Office 365 accounts with larger storage caps will also be available for alumni beginning in September 2022.
- Current students will have the option of using Microsoft Office 365 and can continue to use those accounts after they become alumni.
What we’re asking you to do before July 31, 2023
Check how much Google storage you’re using now. Go to the Drive Storage section of your Cornell Google account to see your current storage amount. (You’ll need to sign in with your Cornell NetID and password.)
- If you have less than 5GB of data in your Cornell account right now, there’s nothing you need to do! We’ll apply the 5GB cap now. As long as your Gmail storage usage stays below 5GB, you won’t need to reduce your Gmail storage further.
- If you have more than 5GB of data in your account right now, we’ll add a cap above your current data level now. You’ll have until July 2023 to reduce your storage down to the 5GB limit. You can also choose to switch to a Cornell Microsoft Office 365 email account (with 50 GB of storage) once those accounts are available in September 2022.
- If you’re using Cornell Google Drive or Photos, make sure you move your files or save them elsewhere before July 2023. After July 2023, all storage will end and you’ll lose anything you haven’t moved or saved. See tips from Google to help you get started.
Cornell Microsoft Office 365 email accounts
Following these changes, Microsoft Office 365 will become the preferred email service for Cornell alumni. These accounts will offer 50GB of storage, and you can request an account as soon as they become available (planned in September 2022).