Cornell Club of Boston – Cranberry Bog Tour
June 4, 2022 @ 10:00 am
DATE: June 04, 2022
TIME: 10 am – 12:30 pm
LOCATION: Gilmore Cranberry Co., Inc., 25 Cranberry Road, South Carver, MA
Sixth-generation cranberry farmer Alison Gilmore Carr (Cornell class of 2001) is looking forward to welcoming the Cornell Club of Boston to her family’s cranberry farm for an early summer farm tour and overview of one of our region’s most beloved agricultural traditions. This is a terrific time of year to visit, as the bogs are just coming to life after the winter dormancy!
The tour will take about 90 minutes, with refreshments and a light lunch served at the end. Alison will show us around her family’s South Carver bogs (covering about 75 acres, about a mile of walking) and sharing with us how cranberries grow. The group would be welcomed and encouraged to get on the bogs as Alison highlights many aspects of cranberry farming.
Things to know:
1. This is event is being offered free of charge, thanks to the generosity of Alison and her mom, Susan!
2. This is a working farm, so in order to minimize disruption we cannot accommodate more than 25 people. We expect there will be a wait list, so please let us know if you won’t be able to make it after you sign up.
3. Families are welcome, though this event is not suitable to children under 5 years old, nor can we accommodate pets.
4. South Carver, MA is about an hour’s drive from Boston. Please keep summertime Cape-bound traffic in mind when planning your trip!
5. We will be outside and walking a lot, so please dress appropriately!
6. If weather looks to be an issue 24 hours before the event and we need to postpone, we will be in touch with all registrants. If you don’t hear from us, assume we are on!
Fun fact: Alison’s sister Abbie and her husband John are also Cornellians!
If you have any questions, please contact: Tara Benedict (’01) email@example.com